March 27, 2013

Surreal Selfie




Graphic Design: Surreal Selfie
This graphic self-portrait is inspired by Dadaism. Dadaists believed in giving up control in their artwork. For this reason I began by asking Facebook friends, ranging in the amount of time I've known them from my whole life to under a year, to describe me in one word. The results helped form the poster on the right. I used them to surround my first name, "Amber," in all caps and middle name, "Lynn," in lower case.

Next, I took the words and transformed them into images, either that I took for the project or have taken in the past and arranged them sporadically on the page. This sporadic placement of random objects in layers is reminiscent of Dada's style of graphic design.

Finally, I utilized the color scheme and borders to tie in my country roots, as roots are what make you who you are, resulting in each adjective. They also act as a unifying force, tying the two pieces together.  


No comments:

Post a Comment